Capsana recognizes the importance you place on privacy protection. Capsana will never wilfully disclose personal information that would identify an individual without their express authorization. We believe people must be informed in advance how personal health information is collected and used.
We collect information that you choose to share with us when you register to use this site and when you use some of the site's applications, such as Capsana's health questionnaires and other interactive tools. This information could, in certain cases and with your consent, be transferred to a third party.
Our definition of "personal information" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:
- E-mail address, password, health interests, health status and risks, and participation in any application on this site
- Name, address, date of birth and information given to us by your employer (e.g., employee ID or employee number, job title, work email address, work phone number).
How we use and share your personal information
- Personalized phone follow-up. In certain cases, you will be asked if you want a follow up by a health professional. If you request to have a professional call you after having completed your questionnaire, the professional will be able to view your profile and have a discussion with you about how to continue maintaining a good state of health or how to intervene and start introducing changes to alter certain life style risks that may be impacting your health. In cases where a participant's health seems to be at immediate risk, a nurse will call to assess the situation and will have access to the participant's profile
- We could contact you to offer you other activities, according to your health profile.
- Aggregate reports. We use your de-identified personal information to report aggregate and anonymous statistics to your employer. Confidentiality is maintained by producing reports only when data for at least 25 individuals is available.
- For statistical purposes. We are working in collaboration with researchers at the Université du Québec à Montréal to evaluate the real impact of our health and wellness program. By participating in this questionnaire, you accept that your information be included in the depersonalized data of all participants that will be analyzed and evaluated by researchers.
Why we collect IP addresses
An IP address is a number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet. IP addresses allow computers and servers to recognize and communicate with each other.
We collect and log the IP address of all site visitors so that we can properly administer our system and gather aggregate information about how our site is being used, including the pages viewed. We log the IP address but don't routinely report on the data.
How we use 'cookies'
How to update your personal information
Once you've registered on the site, you can update the information in the "My Information" section at any time. We'll retain your personal information for a maximum period of 10 years. If you request your profile be deleted, we'll delete your current profile and give you the opportunity to re-register, according to the agreement between your employer and Capsana.
It is not technically possible for us to remove from our servers every record of the information you've provided to us. The need to back up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of your personal information may exist in a non-erasable form, making the information difficult or impossible for us to locate.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We encrypt all personally identifiable data you enter on this site with secure server software SSL ("Secure Sockets Layer"). The encryption means that your data are protected while they are transferred over the Internet to our servers. Once your data reach our servers, the same state-of-the-art security software that guards our company's essential business data protects your personal data as well.
How we ensure children's privacy
This site is intended for adults ages 18 and older. It is not intended for or designed to attract people younger than 18. We don't permit registration by, nor do we collect personally identifiable information from, any person we know to be younger than 18.
How we communicate with you
As a registered user, you may be contacted concerning issues related to the management of the site or the servicing of your account.
Registering to use this site also provides you with these email communication options:
- When you use certain applications on this site, you'll have the opportunity to opt-in to receive notifications concerning Capsana's programs.
- You may also choose to receive information on our other programs or for research purposes.
Capsana's policies on the protection of confidential information
Policy for the protection of personal information as applied by Capsana, its employees and representatives.
In its normal course of business, Capsana collects personal information about its employees, its clients and their employees, participants in its various campaigns and its subcontractors. All personal information collected respects the general laws and regulations that apply to confidentiality and/or is subject to Capsana's policy for the protection of personal information.
Capsana is committed to ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, security and private nature of the personal information it collects by stringently applying its policy and ensuring that it is respected by all of its employees and representatives.
The directors of business units and departments are responsible for ensuring that the policy is respected and taking the appropriate measures to facilitate its application on a day-to-day basis. In cases where the policy is not respected, they will take appropriate measures to correct the situation.
Determining how information collected will be used
At the time it collects personal information, Capsana will specify in a document or an agreement how the information will be used and will provide written notification to the people from whom the information is being collected.
The collection of information is limited to the purposes for which it was authorized. Otherwise, Capsana will obtain additional consent as required.
Capsana will inform and obtain consent from all persons concerned before it collects, uses or transmits personal information, unless it is inappropriate to do so under applicable laws.
Limits on information collected
Capsana will take measures to ensure that only information needed for the purpose identified will be collected. The personal information will not be transmitted or used for any purpose other than that for which consent was obtained.
Subject to applicable laws, Capsana may keep personal information on file for as long as necessary for pre-established purposes, even if the person is no longer an employee, client or participant.
Capsana's employees are required to inform the directors of business units or departments of any changes to information in their file. Clients, participants and subcontractors are also requested to provide any changes to information previously submitted to Capsana.
Capsana will update personal information as soon as it is received from employees, clients, participants and subcontractors, when it is relevant to do so.
Personal information is protected by security measures that are commensurate with the degree of sensitivity of the information.
Security measures protect personal information against loss or theft and against unauthorized consultation, transmission, copying, use or modification.
The nature of the security measures will vary depending on the degree of sensitivity of the personal information, the quantity, distribution and format of the information, as well as how it is conserved. Various methods may be used, such as rendering the information anonymous, restricting access, applying password protection or any other means judged to be appropriate under the circumstances.
This policy is distributed to all managers, administrators, employees, and contributors as well as to any person who requests it.
Access to personal information
Capsana will inform anyone who inquires as to the existence of personal information how the information is used and the fact that it has been provided to third parties, and will allow them to consult it. It will be possible to confirm the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the information and to make corrections if required. Complaints will be handled according to the appropriate procedures and within a reasonable timeframe. This policy will be updated periodically.